Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Siamese.. (Part 3)

(This is the third part of the short story series. Please read the 1st and 2nd part also)

Part 1 - Lonely Night

Part 2 - the Accident

________________________________________________________
This is not true.. Anusha stood up shaking her head. She dropped into the bed and started thinking. How come.. my sis.. I don’t believe this..

Slowly she closed her eyes and began thinking. Suddenly the thought.. the realization hit her. She opened her eyes and saw the photo. Could it be Yamini? I guess it is her.. but.. Rajeev..

She got confused again. Finally she understood the whole story. She had seen too many movies not to understand the plot. She took the photo and gently ran her fingers on it. Her eyes swelled up thinking about Yamini. She could still remember the loud wails of Yamini’s mother and father when she had gone to their home to attend her funeral.

In the silent walls of her bedroom, she could distantly hear her mom’s voice call out Anusha. That’s was about fifteen years ago.

“You care about your two adopted daughters, not me” complained Anusha.

“Who is there for these two girls except for us? Don’t get jealous ma” consoled her mom.

“Come her both of you” beckoned her mom to both the girls.

“You two girls are the most beautiful twins in the world”

“Ya akka.. Both Janavi and Yamini are so beautiful. I would have never got such a beautiful girl if not for you” spoke Anusha’s uncle.

“It’s all god’s grace” replied Anusha’s mother.


Anusha could still remember the day when her adopted sister came home. She had heard that bad times come in double packages but that was the first time she felt that.

“Why did you bring her home?” questioned Anusha.

“I and your uncle went to this orphanage. We liked a girl so much. We wanted to get that girl for your uncle when her twin came up to me and called me amma” tears flowed in Malathi’s eyes. She continued “I just could not do anything but bring her home. So we decided that Yamini will stay at your uncle’s home in Chennai and Janavi will stay with us”

Anusha had started hating Janavi a lot and now she had to deal with the double trouble whenever Yamini visited her home also.

Anusha could still remember her Chennai trip five years ago. She had hated to meet her sister’s twin. But unlike what she thought Yamini was such a nice well-behaved girl, but she was a little stubborn though.

Trriinng.. Trriinng.. Anusha’s thoughts were disturbed by a call. She looked up her mobile. It was Janavi calling her. She hesitated for a second. She finally picked up the call.

“Hello akka.. How are you?”

“I am good da.. How are you?”

“I am fine akka.. One good news.. I have got a job and I am coming to Gurgaon in two days”

“What.. When.. “ stammered Anusha.

“What happened akka? Any problem”

“No no..” Anusha spoke as she steadied her voice. “When are you coming?”

“Two days later akka.. I actually wanted to surprise you, but finally I thought that I might as well inform you”

Bad surprise.. “That’s ok da.. Come here. I will make good food for you”

“How is your husband?”

“He is.. he is good”

“Give my regards to him. Ok akka.. I have to go..Lots of work to do before I leave.. bye..”

“Bye” Anusha suddenly realized that she had not asked about her mom and dad. She wanted to call again but then realized that she had to give Rajeev the food and the CD soon. She quickly prepared lunch and left for the hospital.


Anusha could see that Rajeev was much better today. He was still in a state of semi-consciousness. He couldn’t move his leg or his hand. The doctors had later recognized a hairline fracture in his left hand. Rajeev cried out in pain occasionally. Anusha didn’t know what to do. She wanted to help her husband but she didn’t know how he would react. The nurse came in for her periodic checkup. She cleaned up the medicines on the table and changed the sheet hanging at the end of patient bed.

“Give him a hot towel bath” instructed the nurse as she started leaving the room.

“Me?”

The nurse looked at her curiously “Yes you..”

“Could you please give that?” requested Anusha.

“Who is his wife.. You or me?”. The nurse chuckled as she left the room.

Anusha slowly went near her husband. God save me.. She kept the hot towel on his forehead and Rajeev screamed out. She got scared and jumped back. Rajeev opened his eyes. He saw his terrified wife standing the corner of the room. He gently smiled at her. He asked to come near him and took her hand gently and placed it on his forehead.

Two hours later it was lunch time. “I have never eaten such good food in the last 6 months. You learned from your mom?”

I have been making this food for the last one week.. he realizes it only now.. Anusha just nodded her head in affirmation.

“Awesome.. make more good food like this when I come home..” Rajeev spoke after Anusha had helped him eat the last morsels of his delicious lunch. She wiped off his mouth with her saree.

Rajeev suddenly looked around a little tensed up. Anusha wanted to know the cause of concern. Rajeev quite shyly spoke up “Where is the restroom?”

Anusha smiled and looked to the left of the room. She gently helped him to the restroom.

“So towel bath done?” smiled the nurse as she came into the room.

“Ya ya..” blushed Rajeev as Anusha looked on as to how life had changed so much for her in a span of few days.


The next two beautiful days passed very quickly. Anusha had never seen Rajeev speak so kindly and openly to her. He would tell her about his strange stories of adapting to the new place to which we was transferred. She kept listening patiently to everything that he spoke. He is really a nice guy..

“Actually I didn’t want to marry you”

I know everything.. Anusha raised her eyebrows pretending to not know anything.

“But I feel I have done the right thing”. Anusha could see the gratitude on Rajeev face. “And I have not told this to you before.. You are .. you are very beautiful”
Anusha blushed. She really had started liking him. “Thank you.” She was thinking on what response Rajeev would give her if she asked him about Yamani’s photo. She gathered all her courage and was about to ask him but just then Anusha’s phone rang. She saw a call from her sister’s mobile.

“Hello” spoke Anusha as she moved towards the hospital window to get a better signal. Rajeev could see Anusha speaking to her sister.

“Ok.. I will come in one hour” spoke Anusha as she finished her call. She looked at Rajeev and she could see him nod his head in affirmation. She had not even told a word to her husband but he understood everything. Speaking with eyes.. hmm..
“Janavi is here.. I will receive her at the station and come back soon. If you need anything call me”

Rajeev looked at her. A nod again..

“You will be pleased.. in fact surprised to see my sister” spoke Anusha as she closed the room door and started towards the station.


“Yes..Yes.. Note down the address..” spoke Janavi hurriedly.

Anusha waded through the crowd in the station and saw Janavi speaking with somebody on the phone.


“Janavi..” waved Anusha.

Janavi immediately cut the call and waved back. Anusha rapidly walked towards Janavi and gave her a big hug. I missed her so much. They had become very close after Janavi’s tragic incident. Anusha took one of Janavi’s bags and both of them headed for Anusha’s home.

“This is my beautiful home” Anusha proudly spoke to her sister as they entered the home.

Janavi was pleasantly surprised how beautifully decorated the home was. She sat on the sofa.

“Take a shower while I prepare your lunch” instructed Anusha.

“Ok akka.” Janavi gently rose from her chair and went up to her sister’s marriage photo which hung on the wall.. I have seen him before..

“Go and get ready fast..”

“Yes akka.. yes yes..” Janavi went to get refreshed.

After the lunch, Anusha informed Janavi that her husband had met with accident and was in hospital.

Janavi was shocked “Is he ok now?”

“Ya ya.. Nothing to worry. He will be discharged tomorrow. I have to go now to hospital.”

“Oh ok akka..”

As they started to leave, Janavi took out a big green diary and gave to Anusha.
Anusha could see that it was a very old diary and could see the words “My Diary” written on it.

“Whose is it?”

“Open and read it” motioned Janavi.

Anusha gently opened the book and could see Yamini’s name written inside. As she flipped inside she could see everything.. Everything that had happened in Yamani’s life was written inside.

There was a reference to a temple trip that they had all made together fifteen years ago and she also saw some words written about her.

“After ten years, I saw my other sister today. She was so sweet to me. I have never spoken to her before. We went to the beach and Satyam theatre together…..”

Anusha read through the whole part. She then flipped through a couple of pages more and suddenly found Rajeev photo stuck in one of the pages. She was a little shocked.
Anusha looked up at her sister. Her sister nodded her head and asked her to read on.

“It was my first day in college today. I was horrified of ragging. After our bus dropped us off in our university, I and my friend started walking fast towards our class. We didn’t want to get caught by our seniors. But unfortunately for us a small gang of seniors caught us. I was horrified and started praying. They asked us our names and asked us to sing. My friend sang but I refused. One of the seniors got very angry and walked towards me… I just kept staring at him. He kept coming towards me and I shut my eyes tightly vowing not to open it. “Macha..” I could hear a voice. I looked behind to see my senior hug a boy. He smiled at me. I smiled backed knowing that he had saved my day. I quickly rushed back to class. I could see the same guy who helped me sit behind me in class. I thanked him for his help today and he just waved his hand accepting my gratitude. A nice guy..Rajeev”

Anusha flipped through the next couple of pages. Everything that was written in the diary after that was all about Rajeev. Rajeev .. Rajeev and only rajeev..

Anusha was reading through the diary when her phone rang. She saw her husband’s number on it.

“Where are you?”

“I am just coming.. I will be there in 20 minutes”

Anusha gently placed the diary on the table and asked Janavi to come to the hospital. Janavi was a little skeptical to come but Anusha forced her.

Rajeev will get the shock of his life when he sees Janavi. But few seconds after she opened her main door to leave, she got the shock of her life to see a person standing in front of her home.

I have a seen him somewhere.. Her brain was scanning through images of all the people whom she knew. Oh ya.. It was Janavi’s lover..

CLICK HERE FOR THE NEXT PART
________________________________________________________
"Do drop in your comments. Feedbacks are very much appreciated :)"

7 comments:

  1. awesome dude . . . keep them coming
    hope the next part's title is not 'threesome' ;-)
    he he . . . .
    ~Arun

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got the style man !! Good keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good plot machi.. keep it coming..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one ... keep going :)

    ReplyDelete