Saturday, February 13, 2010

Lost Forever (Part5)

(This is the fifth part of the short story series. Hope you guys like it. As usual do leave your feedback and comments. They definitely inspire me :) )

Please read the 1st, 2nd part 3rd part and 4th Part also.
Part 1 - Back to Home

Part 2 - US Syndrome

Part 3 - Get up..Grandpa..

Part 4 - Married Life

______________________________________________

Amma shook her head vigorously at Arul as she was about to hang up the phone. She suddenly thrust the phone at Arul who was standing close by. Arul was a little surprised but took the receiver from his mom.

“Where is my sister?” threatened a voice from the other side.

“That’s precisely the question I want to ask you” Arul shot back.

A deep sigh followed from the other side. “I guess she must have gone somewhere nearby”

“I hope so too. I really don’t know why she has not taken her mobile with her” complained Arul. “Hope she comes back soon”

As soon as Arul finished speaking, the door bell rang. Arul’s mom sprang to the door and opened it. It was just the newspaper boy. Everybody let out a collective sigh.

“Mridula, I will call you when she is back. Thank you” Arul hung up.

As Arul’s mom was about to close the main door, a voice called out for her. A beautiful woman crisply dressed in a bright green saree walked in.

“Here she is.. You made such a big fuss” spoke Arul’s mom.

Arul walked up to her. He was really angry, but somehow Anjali looked like an angel to him. He had never seen her so beautiful.

Before he could speak, Anjali spoke up “I am so sorry. I went to the Kasi-Viswanathar temple. It is pradosham today and there was so much crowd at the temple. Your city is always crowded”

Arul could just muster a laugh as his anger evaporated. He tried to hug her gently but she pushed him away “Dirty hero, first get a bath”.

“Call her home and tell that she has arrived” spoke Arul’s mom.

“You called my home?” Anjali questioned Arul.

“Anjali, you were not there and so I…” Arul voice trailed off.

“You thought I had gone back to my home after a small fight?” Anjali shot back getting a little cross.

“Relax Anjali. It was just mom’s idea” Arul tried shifting the blame on his mother.

“It was only you who could have done it” Anjali wagged her little finger on him.

Arul just laughed out. His wife knew that much about him. “Enna di.. over shouting” Arul lifted Anjali despite her protest and carried her inside while his mom reached for the phone.
------------------------------------------------

“Just breathe more and relax”, Arul gently pressed his wife’s hand.

“I just hate these airplanes and the long flights” complained Anjali.

Arul just shook his head; she must be the only one complaining about going to America.
--------------------------------------------------

Arul led his wife into their small home. Anjali was exhausted after the long flight but she had a more important job. She ran to the room which is perhaps the closest to heaven.

“What type of toilet is this?” Anjali came out complaining.

“Have you never seen this?” smiled Arul.

“Disgusting place..” came the reply.

“Anjali, relax. Every new place has its own charm. Give it some time and you will definitely get adjusted. I suffered more than you here. So trust me.. just relax”

“Well you suffered here and now I am going to suffer. What’s the point of all this?
Let’s go back” pleaded Anjali.

“You better get adjusted darling” Arul tried to mock hug Anjali.

She pushed him away and he fell back on the sofa. Arul just smiled at her and picked up the remote next to him and switched on the TV.

‘A special report on reverse brain drain happening in US: Back to India’ blared the reporter.

Anjali laughed at him and mockingly pointed two horns on her head. Arul sprang up from the sofa and chased Anjali down.
-------------------------------------------------

“Don’t you dare touch that” hissed Anjali.

“Dear, this is just beer. So chill!” Arul protested. The party for Anu’s birthday along with plenty of drinks and balloons had lighted the whole atmosphere.

Anjali glared at him. “So you mean to say that you have drunk many other things also?”

Arul opened his mouth to speak but on second thoughts decided keep his mouth shut.

“If you expect me to come to my best friend’s birthday party and not drink, isn’t that pretty cruel?”

“You should have told me about it before marriage” protested Anjali.

“Would that have made a difference?” Arul was getting angry now.

“I would have never married a guy who drinks” Anjali shot back.

Arul was about to shout at his wife when Anu came in “No fighting in my b’day” Anu winked at Arul as she lead Anjali away to her other friends.

“Crazy girl” Arul muttered under his breath. He decided that he better keep away from her. They hardly spoke for the next two days with Anjali even rebuffing Arul’s offer to make peace.

It had started to snow pretty heavily that season and the forecast for the day was pretty bad. Arul had an important job to do and decided to drive to his office in the bad weather.

Arul came back to desk after five consecutive meetings. Things had piled up on his India trip and he was desperate to complete it soon. As he sat exhausted on his chair, he loosened his tie and looked at his watch. He pushed aside the window curtain and could see the heavy snow downpour. Arul opened his drawer and took out his mobile. He usually left it there for his meetings for he didn’t want anybody to disturb him.

Five missed calls from Anjali.. Should I call her back? wondered Arul. He decided to call her little later but completely forgot about it in his work.

After a few hours, Arul stretched up in his seat. He looked at his watch and froze. Shit, its 11pm. He immediately called Anjali. The phone bell rang for a whole minute before Anjali picked up.

Arul could hear Anjali sobbing. “Can you please… please come home fast?” she pleaded.

“I will be there in 15 minutes darling. Please don’t cry” Arul hung up and picked up his coat and ran towards his car.

As he was about to start his car the security personal ran up to him.

“Sir, you cannot leave now. You have to wait till morning” he politely spoke up.

“What do mean?” shouted Arul as pretty tensed thinking about Anjali.

“Come and look for yourself sir” the security personal led Arul to the main road.

Arul could not believe his eyes and stood paralyzed in shock. Even though the snow storm had stopped, the snow had piled up to height of his knees.

“It’s the biggest pile over I have seen in years sir” security guy shook his head.

“Can you get me a cab or something?” Arul voice changed to a more polite tone.

“No sir. There is no way you can drive anywhere in New York. All transportation is closed.”

Damn it, Arul cursed himself. He dialed Anu’s number.

“Hey Arul” replied Anu.

Arul quickly filled in Anu about the situation he was in and asked her if she could drive to his place and give Anjali some company.

“Arul, all roads are closed. There is no way I can reach your home man. Wait till morning and catch a cab back home. Anjali will be safe and I will speak with her”

“Thank you Anu but I have to reach my home now”

“I really don’t think that’s possible and neither is it safe”

“I guess so. Anyways good night” Arul hung up and sized up his options.

The security personal understood the situation and went to his cabin and got a long leather jacket and a big walking stick.

Arul found the idea pretty crazy but realized that his options were severely curtailed. Arul wore the over sized coat and started ploughing through the heavy snow cover. Shit.. It will take atleast 4 hours to reach home.. He loved Anjali more than he had thought.

After a 3 hour struggle through the dark and empty roads he reached his home. It felt to him that he would never reach his home and it was his desperation to see his wife that gave him the hope to walk. He gently opened the door and switched on the lights. He could see Anjali sleeping on the couch. Her face had swollen up and she was looking pale.

Arul touched her, Oh my god.. She’s damn cold. He looked around and saw that the heater had not been switched on. Arul gently lifted her and took her to the bedroom and slipped her under the soft blankets. He gently ran his fingers through her hair and rubbed her feet.

He got up, switched on the heater and slipped into his bed.

A huge cry woke Arul up. He looked around and he could see the first rays of sun kissing their bedroom. He was pretty confused as to where he was and he could feel the pain in his legs from last night’s adventure.

He found Anjali sobbing heavily in her bed. Arul got up and hugged Anjali. Perhaps she is afraid.

“Thata died yesterday” Anjali spoke up.

“What??” Arul jerked up from his bed.

“He died yesterday and that is why I called you so many times”

“Oh my god! I just cannot believe this” Arul stood up and placed his hands on his hips. “You didn’t miss me. You cried because some idiot who literally stopped our marriage, died”

“Mind your words” Anjali shouted back. Her mind was already tensed from the sad demise of her grandfather.

“You know what.. I slogged three hours through the snow walking from my office to home to see you and you tell me that you called me because somebody somewhere died”

“It was not somebody Arul, it’s my grand-dad” she completely forgot his long walk in the heated situation.

“My foot.. you and your grand-dad.. crazy family” Arul raised his voice.

“Stop calling my family. You are crazy. You have caged me in here” Anjali voiced shrieked.

“Go to hell.. Go back to your parents. Keep hiding behind your mom’s saree” Arul was bursting with anger now.

“Don’t you dare speak one more word. Leave me forever” shouted Anjali.

The war of words had got pretty ugly. Arul jumped on to his phone and booked a ticket to India through his agent.
-------------------------------------------------------

The airport was buzzing with calls for departure of airplanes. Arul felt sad that this was the last time he would see Anjali. He had quickly lost his anger and desperately tried to catch her attention, but she was in no mood to forgive him.

He finally broke the silence, “Listen Anjali, I am sorry. Please don’t leave me”

“I am sorry too..” Anjali spoke as Arul’s lips broke into a grin “that I have had to live with a person like you”

Arul clenched his fist in anger. This crazy girl and her overbearing pride. She is a… he could not find a proper bad word to scold her.

Arul had handled many of his angry clients and he knew that he had to keep himself cool. He had lost a lot by getting angry yesterday.

“Anjali, I am not a bad guy. I know you like me” Arul tried to push the conversation.

“I still like you, but I don’t love you anymore” Anjali picked up the bags from Arul and moved in to the security clearance area.

It was not the first time he had heard those words. Arul stood there speechless, shocked and snubbed as he watched his life walk away.
--------------------------------------------------------

“What do you expect me to Anu? Beg.. fall at her feet” Arul was literally screaming and banging the table.

“Nothing. But I don’t expect anybody to book a ticket to India just because one has a small fight at home” replied Anu.

“It was not a small fight. I walked three hours in the snow to reach home and beside her” protested Arul.

Anu smiled and gently leaned towards Arul and spoke “What did I tell you the other day? Stay put in office and that Anjali will be alright”

Arul eyes gazed down. He slowly nodded his head. “What do I do now?”

“Do your work and she will miss you and call you” replied Anu.

“Hmm.. Hope she misses me” spoke Arul dejectedly.

Anu patted on his back “I am sure she will dude. Cheer up!!”
---------------------------------------------

Arul could not do anything properly. His personal and professional was getting too depressing. Perhaps the influence of a person whom he loved on life was way too much and also he had been around with so many people in the last 3-4 weeks that he found his previous peaceful ‘lonely’ life pretty disgusting now.

He just could not stop thinking about Anjali and the beautiful moments that he had with her.

He dialed Anu’s number “Anu, I am going to India”

“No Arul, wait for some more time. Call her from here and see” suggested Anu.

“I tried but could not reach her as she is staying in some hostel in Chennai”
replied Arul.

“So when would you be coming back?”

“I am going permanently da. I somehow miss India, my parents and Anjali a lot” grieved Arul.

There was complete silence for some time. “I understand your position. All the best
for a new life” replied Anu.
----------------------------------------------

A cool breeze in the terrace firmly pushed brushed past Arul’s hair. Arul had never thought that he would be coming back to Chennai forever. Perhaps it was destiny’s choice for him.

‘I like you but I don’t love you’ the last words from Anjali stung him hard. It was not that those words really hurt him but he had heard it for the second time in his life.

Meera had hurt him before and now it was Anjali’s turn. Somehow Arul could not stop thinking about Meera. Only if Meera was here with me…

Trring.. Trring..
Arul picked up the phone. His father had called him up as he had some visitors who wanted to see him and he had sent them to the terrace. Arul turned back on hearing some voices and he was shocked to see some familiar faces.
Mari and Mridula stepped into the terrace from the small attic. He shook hands with both of them and enquired about Anjali’s parents.

“You should talk with Anjali. She gets very angry sometimes” spoke Mridula.

“I will do that soon” replied Arul.

“I want to tell you something more…” Mridula paused and then continued explaining something Arul. Mari moved a little away and could see Arul vehemently shaking his head. Hope he agrees.. thought Mari.
------------------------------------------------------

“Why did Mridula come to meet you? And who is that person with her?” Arul’s mom always liked to combine two questions and shoot them.

“She just came to meet me to give Anjali’s address and Mari is her friend” Arul replied.

“Friend??” quizzed his mom.

Arul had enough problems and did not want to get into Mridula’s problems also.

“Yes, just friends”

“When are you going to meet Anjali?”

“I will go today evening and perhaps take her out for dinner, if possible”

“She will come. Don’t worry. These fights happen in all relationships. Can you not see how our marriage has survived?” joked Arul’s mom.

Arul just hugged his mom and tears flowed down his eyes. Moms are always the best!!
-------------------------------------------------------

Arul knelt down and concentrated in his deep prayers. He always visited temples whenever he had a problem in life, but this was a place he always went to whenever he had the life changing problem in his life. He found peace in god’s home and he loved this Velankanni church.

“Praying for me?” spoke a soft voice.

Arul opened his eyes on hearing the voice. He literally fell off his position but quickly re-adjusted his stance. He got angry and clutched his fist and then gradually loosened remembering his promise to Anu that he would never get angry again.

“Meera.. “ Arul’s voice trailed off. Meera gently smiled at him. Arul could see that Meera had grown quite old suddenly and strangely she had lost a lot of hair.

“How are you?” Arul barely managed to squeeze a question.

“I am good” replied Meera. “Can we go for a walk by the beach beside when you are done?”

Arul nodded his head and they were out on the beach ten minutes later.

“How are you doing?” Meera tried breaking the silence.

“Fine”. Meera did not like the mono-syllable reply.

“Still angry with me?” questioned Meera.

“What do expect me to say, Meera?” Arul shot back.

“Arul… I..” Meera paused. “It’s tough.. Leave it”

“Tough on me, Meera. Do you know how much I suffered thinking about you?”

Perhaps he doesn't know how much I am suffering everyday thought Meera “That’s why I don’t want to say anything” replied Meera.

“Say what Meera? That you and Ajay…” Arul let the words hang loose.

Meera looked up at Arul into his eyes. He had misunderstood her completely. Perhaps the time to tell the truth had come. She told Arul everything.

“Noooooooooo” Arul buried his face in his hands and cried uncontrollably.

________________________________________________________

CLICK HERE FOR NEXT PART
________________________________________________________

5 comments:

  1. interesting . . .nice writing dude . ..keep them coming . ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. personally I wud have wanted to know little more about the fight between Arul n Anjali..wud appreciate more details..for me that part was too short n quick to convince me tht it's that big a problem.

    Overall a lovely read.. I like the eccentric side of the characters.. good going bro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice part, Arvinth. Get going!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one da ...

    Nice one dude.

    Karthick Chidambaram

    ReplyDelete